Update: ‘Specifications,’ ‘Features,’ and ‘U.S. launch & pricing’ sections updated with new details.
Hyundai Motor Group’s luxury brand Genesis unveiled the electric version of the G80 at the 2021 Shanghai Auto Show as the ‘Genesis Electrified G80’. The new electric sedan competes with the Mercedes EQE, Tesla Model S, Lucid Air, and Nio ET7.
Here’s everything we know about the Genesis Electrified G80 in the U.S.:
Highlights of the first Genesis electric car
- The Genesis Electrified G80 is the brand’s first electric car. It embodies the ‘Athletic Elegance’ and ‘Beauty of White Space’ design concepts in the exterior and interior.
- The Genesis-expected EPA-est. range is 284 miles. At a 350 kW rapid charging station, the battery charges 10% to 80% in 22 minutes.
- The Electrified G80 comes exclusively in all-wheel-drive. The two motors deliver 272 kW (365 hp) and 516 lb-ft. The sedan accelerates from 0 to 60 mph in 4.9 seconds in Sports mode.
- The G80 electric has a Disconnector Actuator System (DAS) that automatically connects or disconnects the motor and driveshaft based on the driving conditions, including vehicle speed and the driving mode, seamlessly switching between 2WD and AWD to reduce power loss and improve efficiency.
- The Electrified G80 comes with a 400V/800V multi rapid charging system that does not entail an additional converter. The motor and inverter can boost voltage from 400V to 800V for stable charging.
- The Electrified G80 also offers V2L (Vehicle to Load) that lets customers use electric power of 3.6 kW to run appliances outside the vehicle. However, this feature is yet to be confirmed for the U.S.
- The Genesis G80 EV comes with ANC-R (Active Noise Control-Road). The noise cancellation system significantly reduces noise by measuring and analyzing road noises with four sensors and six microphones placed inside the vehicle and simultaneously generating sounds at the opposite phase.
- The Preview Electronic Control Suspension (Pre-view ECS) is controlled by information supplied through the front camera and navigation system, which helps to create an optimum driving experience.
- The brand’s signature Crest Grille is converted into an ‘aerodynamic crest’ sporting an inverted G-Matrix design. The charging flap is placed in the grille’s upper right corner. Dual chrome lines have been applied as a design highlight.
- The Genesis G80 EV comes with a solar roof (not available in the U.S.) for increased efficiency.
- It uses aluminum and carbon fiber reinforced plastics to reduce body weight while enhancing rigidity.
- Sustainable materials, wood, PET, nylon, and natural dyes are used in areas like the seat fabric, console, and rear armrests.
- Exclusive color options for the Genesis Electrified G80 are Matira Blue (exterior) and the Dark Lagoon Green/Glacier White two-tone (interior)
The Genesis G80 electric has an 87.2 kWh battery pack that allows a range of up to 265 miles (427 km) based on the South Korean test cycle. In the U.S., the officially expected EPA-est. range is 282 miles. Charging from 10 to 100% SoC using a Level 2 charger takes 7 hours, 22 minutes. With a 350 kW rapid charger, charging from 10 to 80% takes just 22 minutes, though.
Two 136 kW (182 hp)/258 lb-ft motors, one at the front and one at the rear, enable four-wheel drive. In total, there’s 272 kW (365 hp) and 516 lb.-ft. of torque available in the electric sedan. A 0-62 mph sprint takes just 4.9 seconds in sports mode. The car is equipped with a Disconnector Actuator System (DAS), which means minimized power loss and the flexibility to switch between 2WD and AWD drivetrain layouts.
|Aspect||Genesis Electrified G80 Specification|
|Tires||245/45R19 (front)/275/40R19 (rear)|
|Headroom||40.3″ (front)/36.6″ (rear)|
|Leg Room||42.1″ (front)/35.9″ (rear)|
|Shoulder Room||58.3″ (front)/57.1″ (rear)|
|Trunk Space||10.8 cu. ft.|
|No. of Motors||Two (front and rear)|
|Front Motor Power||136 kW (182 hp)|
|Rear Motor Power||136 kW (182 hp)|
|Front Motor Torque||258 lb.-ft.|
|Rear Motor Torque||258 lb.-ft.|
|Total Motor Power||272 kW (365 hp)|
|Total Motor Torque||516 lb-ft|
|Battery Pack Capacity||87.2 kWh|
|Officially Expected EPA-est. Range||284 miles|
|100% Charging Time (AC Standard 110V / 10A)||80 hours|
|10-100% Charging Time (AC Level 2, Standard 240 V/ 48A w/ EVSE)||7 hours, 22 minutes|
|10-80% Charging Time (DC Level 3, 350 kW)||22 minutes|
Holds on to 95% of its range in -7 degrees Celsius
A test conducted in South Korea has revealed that the Genesis Electrified G80’s battery was able to maintain 95% of its range in freezing temperatures, according to an ET News report dated February 9, 2022. Electric vehicle batteries tend to lose mileage faster in cold winters, where modern battery insulation technologies come into play.
At -7 degrees Celsius, the G80’s range dropped from 269 miles to just 255 miles. Out of the 15 vehicles tested for range in winter temperatures, the G80 fared the best. The Bolt EV lost 87 miles of range, from 257 miles to 170 miles in the same test.
The G80’s excellent result comes in the wake of the S.Korean government’s decision to incentivize efficient EVs that manage to retain 65-70% range at low temperatures. The standard will be raised in phases. 2023 onwards, EVs will have to retain 65-75% range in winter climates to qualify for the subsidy. 2024 onwards, only EVs with 70-80% of maximum range in cold temperatures will benefit from the subsidy.
The Genesis Electrified G80 comes in a single fully-loaded trim. Full LED lighting, 19-inch wheels, noise-reducing acoustic laminated glass, and heated and auto-dimming mirrors are standard.
Interior highlights include a 14.5-inch HD touchscreen infotainment system, a 16-way power driver seat with 4-way power lumbar support, and power side bolster and cushion extension, a 12-way power front passenger seat with 4-way power lumbar support, regenerative braking control paddle shifters, and a 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster.
The Genesis Electrified G80 has 17% more body rigidity than the regular Genesis G80. It has ten airbags, including a front center side airbag, to reduce the injuries from a collision between the driver and front passenger. Lane Keeping Assist, Lane Following Assist, and Highway Driving Assist are some of the other main standard safety features.
U.S. launch & pricing
The Genesis Electrified G80 is available in California, Connecticut, New Jersey, and New York. From September 2022, it will be available in Arizona, Nevada, Utah, and Washington as well. There’s just one configuration on offer in the U.S., priced at USD 79,825 (excluding $1,095 freight) before options.
Retailers would be scampering to put the Electrified G80 on sale as Genesis set a new sales record in the U.S. in the first quarter of 2022 by selling 11,723 units—the highest ever since the brand entered the U.S. in 2016. The Electrified G80 is not the first Genesis EV to enter the United States. The brand has launched the GV60 in the U.S. already, and it will manufacture the GV70 Electric at the Alabama plant starting in December 2022, which should carry the sales momentum into 2023.
Standalone Genesis showroom inaugurated in the U.S.
On March 29, 2022, Genesis opened its first standalone showroom in the United States. Earlier, the brand was sharing retail spaces with Hyundai. However, Genesis Motor North America is now shifting towards a new retail strategy. The Genesis of Lafayette showroom in Louisiana—owned and operated by dealer principal Arthur C. LeBlanc Jr. and Sterling Automotive Group—is the stepping stone towards the new journey.
The outlet features a transparent and an open floor plan, an indoor vehicle delivery area, and infrastructure for upcoming Electrified Genesis models. Customers can get the showroom experience by visiting the outlet or even booking a test drive online. They can have their Genesis delivered to their doorstep as well. Six more outlets are under construction across the U.S., and an additional 20 have been planned.
Genesis G80 Electric FAQs
What is the Genesis G80 Electric release date in the U.S.?
The Genesis G80 Electric is now on sale in the U.S.
What is the Genesis Electrified G80 price?
The Genesis Electrified G80 costs USD 79,825 (excluding $1,095 freight) before options in the U.S.
Which are the main competitors to the Genesis G80 EV?
The Mercedes EQE, Tesla Model S, and Lucid Air are the G80 EV rivals in the U.S.
Featured Image Source: Genesis